Are you passionate about healthcare, but not quite sure you want to become a doctor or a nurse? Have you considered a career in paramedicine? Paramedics play a vital role in emergency medical services, providing life-saving care and transportation for patients in critical situations. And the best part is, you don't need to spend years in medical school to get started.
There are a variety of paramedical courses available that can prepare you for a rewarding career as a paramedic or other allied healthcare professional. From medical lab technician (MLT), radiology, and operation theatre technician training to advanced courses in critical care, there are options for students at every level of experience and education.
In this blog post, we'll explore some of the different paramedical courses available, what they involve, and how they can help you launch your career in healthcare. Whether you're just starting out or looking to expand your skills and knowledge, paramedical courses can be an excellent way to gain the expertise you need to succeed in this challenging and rewarding field. So let's dive in!
Paramedical courses are specialized training programs that focus on a variety of healthcare fields, from emergency medical services to diagnostic imaging and laboratory sciences. Depending on the level of education and training required, there are several types of paramedical courses available.
|Diploma Course||1 Year||INR 66,000|
|Advanced Diploma||2 Years||INR 1,49,000|
|Certificate Program||6 Months||INR 35,000|
|Bachelor’s in Paramedical||3 Years||INR 3,00,000|
|Master’s in Paramedical||2 Years||INR 5,00,000|
|PhD in Paramedical||3 Years||INR 5,00,000|
You can opt for any of the above courses based on your feasibility. If you wish to pursue a full-time 4 years paramedical course, you can go for Bachelor’s degree (B Voc Courses). However, if you wish to pursue the course in shorter duration, the diploma and advanced diploma may be a good option for you.
Paramedical courses refer to educational programs that train individuals to provide medical support services to patients and assist medical professionals in diagnosis, treatment, and therapy. These courses are designed to equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills to work in various healthcare settings, such as hospitals, clinics, and emergency medical services.
Here are some of the most popular paramedical courses which you can pursue without appearing in the NEET exam including nursing, medical laboratory technology, radiology technology, emergency medical services, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and dental hygiene etc. These courses offer students the opportunity to specialize in a particular area of healthcare and pursue a rewarding career in the healthcare industry.
This rewarding career is best suited for you if you are looking to create a career in the medical industry. Here are some the facts related to the course:
- Paramedical courses are job-oriented courses presenting ample employment opportunities.
- Paramedical courses offer options of varying durations. Certificate courses are 6 months to a year-long, whereas diplomas take usually a year or two to complete.
- Paramedics are among the most ingenious and resourceful medical professionals. They are extremely efficient in treating medical and traumatic, emergency conditions without direct guidance from the physician.
- Paramedical courses have a better scope, greater employability, attractive salary and higher job satisfaction with good growth and global opportunities.
If you're interested in a career in healthcare but don't want to become a doctor or nurse, paramedical courses could be the perfect fit for you. These courses offer specialized training in a variety of healthcare fields, from emergency medical services to diagnostic imaging and laboratory sciences. Here are the top 10 paramedical courses to consider in 2023:
Paramedical courses are specialized healthcare training programs that provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to work in various allied health professions. Diploma courses in paramedical fields are designed to provide more in-depth training than certificate programs, typically lasting one to two years. Here is a list of some of the most popular paramedical diploma courses available:
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology - DMLT
- Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology - DOTT
- Diploma in Hospital Administration - DHA
- Diploma in Emergency Medical Technician - EMT
- Diploma in Radiation Technology
- Diploma in Dialysis Technology
- Diploma in X-ray Technology
- Diploma in Nursing Care Assistant
- Diploma in Medical Record Technology
- Diploma in Medical Imaging Technology
- Diploma in Optometry
- Diploma in Clinical Research
- Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology, Leprosy
- Diploma in Orthopedics
- Diploma in Nursing Care Assistant
- Diploma in Hear Language and Speech
- Diploma in Rural Health Care
- Diploma in Dental Hygienist
Also Read: Diploma Courses in Medical Field
Paramedical courses are specialized healthcare training programs that provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to work in various allied health professions. Certificate courses in paramedical fields are typically shorter than diploma programs, lasting anywhere from a few weeks to a year. Here is a list of some of the most popular paramedical certificate courses available:
- Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Certificate in Lab Technician or Lab Assistant
- Certificate in Dialysis Technician
- Certificate in X-ray Technician
- Certificate in a Nursing Care Assistant
- Certificate in Home Health Aide
- Certificate in ECG and CT Scan Technician
- Certificate in General Duty Assistant
- Certificate in Physiotherapy
- Certificate in HIV and Family Education
Paramedical courses are specialized healthcare training programs that provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to work in various allied health professions. Undergraduate courses in paramedical fields typically take four years to complete and provide a comprehensive education in a particular area of healthcare. Here is a list of some of the most popular paramedical undergraduate courses available:
- Bachelors in Operating Theatre Technology - BOTT
- Bachelor in Radiation Imaging Technology
- Bachelor in Nursing
- Bachelors in Physiotherapy
- BSc in Dialysis Therapy
- BSc in Optometry
- BSc in Respiratory Therapy Technology
- B Voc in MLT
- B Voc in Hospital Administration
- B Voc in OT Technician
- BSc Physician Assistant
- BSc Nuclear Medicine Technology
- BSc (Audiology and Speech Therapy)
- BSc in Cardiac Technology
- BSc Neurophysiology Technology
- Bachelor of Naturopathy & Yogic Science
Paramedical courses are specialized healthcare training programs that provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to work in various allied health professions. Postgraduate courses in paramedical fields are designed for individuals who have already completed a bachelor's or master's degree in a healthcare field and want to specialize further. Here is a list of some of the most popular paramedical postgraduate courses available:
- Masters in Radiation Technology
- Masters of Physiotherapy
- Masters in Optometry and Ophthalmic Technology
- Master in Occupational Therapy
- Masters of Hospital Administration
- MSc in Nursing
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Geriatric Medicine
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Medical Radiodiagnosis
- Master of Optometry
- MSc Community Health Nursing
- PG Diploma in Anesthesiology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Medical Radio-diagnosis
- MPT Neurology
- MSc Psychiatric Nursing
- MPT Sports Physiotherapy
- MSc in Mental Health Nursing
- MSc in Pediatric Nursing
- MSc in Child Health Nursing
Paramedical Doctorate courses are advanced-level academic programs designed for students who want to pursue a career in research or academics in the healthcare field. These courses are typically aimed at students who have already completed a Master's degree in a related field and are looking to further their education and expertise.
- M Phil in Nursing
- PhD in Nursing
Pros and Cons of Pursuing Paramedical Courses
Here are some pros and cons of pursuing paramedical courses in India:
- High demand for qualified professionals in the healthcare industry
- Wide range of career options available in various allied healthcare fields
- Shorter duration of courses as compared to medical courses, with some programs requiring only one year of study
- Lower cost of education as compared to medical courses
- Opportunity to make a difference in people's lives and contribute to society
- High job satisfaction due to the nature of work and the ability to help others
- Possibility of working in different healthcare settings such as hospitals, clinics, research institutions, and private practices
- Limited career growth opportunities in some fields
- Long working hours and high workload in some healthcare professions
- Exposure to infectious diseases and other health risks while working with patients
- Limited opportunities for entrepreneurship and starting a private practice
- Lack of awareness and social status of some paramedical professions
- High competition for admission to some programs due to limited seats and high demand
Overall, pursuing a paramedical course can be a great option for those interested in the healthcare industry. However, it is important to carefully consider the pros and cons of each program and career option before making a decision.
Here is a list of the top paramedical courses for 2023, based on their popularity and demand in the healthcare industry:
- DMLT - Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- BMLT - Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology
- B Voc MLT - Bachelor of Vocational in MLT
- DOTT - Diploma in Operating Theatre Technician
- BOTT - Bachelors in Operating Theatre Technician
- B Voc OTT - Bachelor of Vocational in OT Technician
- DHA - Diploma in Hospital Administration
- B Voc HA - Bachelor of Vocational in OT Technician
- EMT - Emergency Medical Technician
- Bsc in Radiology Technician
All these are some of the best paramedical courses with high salary offers any healthcare industry.
Paramedical Courses after 12th Science
Paramedical courses are specialized healthcare training programs that provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to work in various allied health professions. For students who have completed their 12th grade with a science background, there are a variety of paramedical courses available to pursue. Here is a list of some of the most popular paramedical courses after 12th science:
- BSc (Hons) Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
- BSc Anesthesia
- BSc Medical Lab Technology
- BSc Medical Imaging Technology
- BSc Physician Assistant
- BSc Cardiac Technology
- BSc Operation Theatre Technology
- BSc Medical Record Technology
- BSc Cardiovascular Technology
- BSc Nuclear Medicine Technology
- BSc Neurophysiology Technology
- BSc Dialysis Technology
- BSc Audiology and Speech Therapy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT)
- BSc Optometry
- BSc Radiography
- BSc Radiography Colleges
- BSc Radiology
- BSc Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Paramedicine
- BSc Ophthalmic Technology
- Bachelor of Paramedical Technology
- Bachelor of Health in Paramedicine (Hons)
Paramedical Courses after 12th Commerce and Arts
Virohan Institute offers a range of paramedical courses that students can pursue after completing 10+2 in any stream, be it Science, Commerce, or Arts. These courses are designed to equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills to work in the healthcare industry as allied health professionals.
Some of the popular paramedical courses are offered by Virohan Institute for any stream student.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Radiology and Imaging Technology
- Operation Theatre Technology
- Hospital Administration
- Emergency Medical Technician
Students can choose a course based on their interests, aptitude, and career aspirations. The courses are designed to provide a blend of theoretical knowledge and practical training to prepare students for the real-world challenges of the healthcare industry. Students will get hands-on training on the latest equipment and technology used in the healthcare industry, which will help them gain a competitive edge in the job market.
- Paramedical courses present ample employment opportunities because of the expansion of the Healthcare industry. This is true not only in PAN India but also outside our country.
- These courses are job-oriented programs that transform an individual learner into a competent Healthcare worker.
- Certificate and diploma courses are faster and relatively less expensive shortcuts into the healthcare industry.
- Due to the pandemic's spread, more and more skilled and qualified paramedics are required for strengthening the backbone of the Healthcare industry.
- Career growth and prospects are bright and varied making it a profitable option in paramedical courses after 12th.
- The number of skilled and qualified paramedics in different fields and specializations in India is still low. Hence the demand for paramedical courses after 10th and paramedical courses after 12th is on a rise.
- If you wish to make a difference in someone’s life then pursuing a paramedical science course to become a Paramedic can prove to be a good choice for you.
- It is a challenging and rewarding career at the same time. No patient is the same nor any day is similar.
- It gives a chance to mingle with people from all walks of life.
Also Read: Online Paramedical Courses
Paramedics are an integral element of the medical circuit that assist doctors in diagnosis, treatment and providing medical attention to ill or injured individuals. This includes reporting, documentation, supply management, infection control, so on. The other jobs include:
- They administer oral medications or IV injections.
- They assist in surgical procedures like inserting a breathing tube.
- They are trained to use a defibrillator or shock equipment for resuscitation.
- They help in first aid and treatment of wounds and injuries.
- They educate patients and their relatives.
- Paramedics carry out the rehabilitation of patients.
- They manage laboratories or clinics and help diagnose diseases with the help of blood tests, X-rays, MRI, CT scans, ultrasound, etc.
- They work as technicians/pharmacists, and operate medical equipment, and read reports such as ECG.
Also Read: Diploma Courses after 12th
Counselling for paramedical courses includes choosing the right course of your choice. Paramedical courses can be of many types, for example, Medical Laboratory Technician, Operation Theatre Technician and Hospital Administration, etc. These courses can be done for Diploma, Advanced Diploma and B.Voc program.
During the paramedical counselling sessions, students are asked questions about their interests and goals and depending on the duration of their choice, the right course can be chosen for the students.
Paramedical courses can be done with various specializations, such as Medical Lab Technician, Operation Theatre Technician, Hospital Administration, etc. These courses can be pursued either as a Diploma or as a Degree such as B.Voc.
Post the completion of these courses the students can either opt for higher studies and continue to do a master’s degree after the completion of this program or can start working in a healthcare setting such as, Hospitals/ Laboratories/ Home clinics, etc.
Paramedical courses have a great scope in the future and the job is in high demand right now as the healthcare industry is constantly growing.
The paramedical courses are of different types. Some paramedical courses after 10th provide an employment opportunity for students just after completing the 10th. On the other hand, most of the paramedical courses after 12th require you to produce a 12th marksheet with qualifying aggregate.
Eligibility also varies depending on the type of paramedical course. While some colleges only consider candidates who have passed class 12th with the science stream, other institutes such as Virohan do not have any such obligation.
Thus the eligibility criteria for various paramedical courses is as follows:
- The student must have completed 10+2 from a recognized board
- The student must have passed class 12th with the science stream (A few institutes such as, Virohan allow students from commerce and arts also to pursue the paramedical course)
- The student must have passed 10+2 with a minimum of 45-50% aggregate.
How a paramedic dispenses initial treatment can be a matter of life and death in many critical situations. Quick analytical and critical thinking along with people skills are some of the key skills required in a paramedical professional.
To work as a paramedic several personal qualities and soft skills are required in addition to formal training.
- A paramedic should be aware of his/her surroundings–book and street smart.
- He/she should be physically and mentally sound – the working environment includes all types of weather conditions, indoors as well as outdoors, physically strenuous situations, and sometimes can be mentally stressful as well.
- Paramedics should be calm in chaotic conditions – when all eyes are on you, streaming your every action, it is important to remain calm and stay professional.
- He/she should have excellent problem-solving with critical and creative thinking skills – life-saving skills may have to be performed in cramped spaces. One has to figure out the best way to exercise these life-saving skills, which at times might be an unconventional option.
- Striving to learn from mistakes – if something is not right, back off and re-evaluate.
- He/she should have good communication skills – communication and empathy for paramedics are crucial, as it allows patients to feel comfortable and communicate their problems properly.
- He/she should be able to make complex judgments and appropriate decisions – intubation of a choking patient, a hypoglycemic patient needing glucose, etc.
Some institutes carry out admission directly through their own entrance exam. Out of which many colleges take admissions either through a state level or national level entrance examination. Some colleges accept admissions based on the percentage scored in class 12th. The admission process for a paramedical course is simple, while a few steps may vary in different institutions, a major chunk of the process is the same in every institution.
You can Follow the Below Steps for your Admission Process:
- Visit the official website of the college or university.
- Go to their admission section and fill out the registration form.
- Once filled, pay the registration fee to begin your admission process.
- Some colleges conduct an entrance exam, while others admit through a merit list.
In Case of Entrance Exam:
- Visit the official website of the college and fill out the application form for the entrance exam.
- Pay the registration fees and appear for the entrance.
- The college will generate a cut-off and prepare a list of shortlisted candidates.
- If your name is in the shortlisted candidates, you will be invited for counselling.
- You can choose your discipline during the counselling and verify your documents.
- Pay the initial amount to take admission in the choice of your course.
In Case of Merit List Admission:
- Make sure that you have a 10+2 certificate or diploma from a recognized board or institute.
- Register yourself on the website of the college.
- Fill out your application form along with the required documents and pay the registration fee.
- The college will generate an admission list based on the academic records of registered students.
- If you are shortlisted, accept the admission letter, and proceed with the required fees.
Also Read: Lab Technician Course
If you look for paramedical courses near me, some top institutes offering paramedical courses in India will come up as:
|Name of College||Name of City|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences||New Delhi|
|Virohan Institute of Health and Management Sciences (VIHMS)||Faridabad|
|Armed Forces Medical College||Pune|
|Virohan Institute (VIHMS)||Nagpur|
|Kalinga - Virohan||Raipur|
|NTTF - Virohan||Bangalore|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore|
|Virohan Institute (VIHMS)||Pune|
|Virohan Institute EOK (VIHMS)||New Delhi|
|Virohan Institute Kalkaji (VIHMS)||New Delhi|
|Virohan Institute (VIHMS)||Meerut|
|DPG - Virohan||Gurgaon|
|iiiEM - Virohan||Vadodara|
|iiiEM - Virohan||Ahmedabad|
|iiiEM - Virohan||Surat|
|Jyothi Group - Virohan||Bangalore|
|Rustomjee - Virohan||Mumbai|
Some of the job profiles which the paramedical courses can offer you to opt are:
- Operating Theatre Technician - Member of a multidisciplinary team in operation theatres who prepares and maintains an operation theatre. OT technicians assist the anaesthetics and surgical team during the perioperative period that is pre-, intra-, and all post-surgery duties within a hospital
- Emergency Medical Technician - Health professionals who provide emergency medical services.
- Medical Laboratory Technician - Health professionals skilled in conducting laboratory tests and responsible for the initiation of the treatment process
- Phlebotomist - Professionals what range to draw blood from a patient for clinical on medical testing transfusions donations for research
- Hospital Administrator- Group of individuals dealing with human resources law and order and financial aspects of a hospital along with the control direction and management of Healthcare facilities.
You can have quite a stellar career in Paramedical Sciences. There are numerous avenues where you can acquire a decent job and excel in this field.
- Hospital Laboratories
- International Health Services
- Government health services
- Blood banks
- Forensic Labs
- Clinical Research Laboratories
- Educational institutions
- Veterinary hospitals
- Caregiving NGO’s
It largely depends on:
- The standard of the organization
- Skills of an individual
- Experience of the professional
Paramedical salary can vary depending on the specific job, the level of education and experience, and the location of the workplace. Generally, paramedical professionals earn competitive salaries and have good job security due to the growing demand for healthcare services. All courses open doors for a world of opportunities and offer handsome salaries too.
- The salary after the course completion ranges from 2,20,000 to 10,00,000 lakh per annum.
- The trainee level executives can earn somewhere between Rs.10,000 to rupees 20,000 per month.
- The government is the model employer, offering salaries between Rs.30,000 to Rs.40,000 per month.
- Senior professionals in leading hospitals and some laboratories earn way more than Rs.40,000 as a salary.
- Apart from this many healthcare facilities offer their employees health care benefits like health insurance, retirement packages and leave benefits.
|Nurse||INR 3,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Radiotherapy Technologists||INR 8,00,000|
|Audiologist and Speech Therapist||INR 5,00,000|
|Occupational Therapist||INR 4,00,000|
|Medical Laboratory Technologists||INR 4,00,000|
|Operation Theatre Technician||INR 2,00,000|
Also Read: Courses after 12th Science Biology
- The scope of the paramedical sector in today’s world is immense as there are plenty of jobs available in the public as well as the private sector.
- Moreover, there is a need to improve the health sector, something we all learnt the hard way. All because of the unforeseen pandemic situation. The entire world has come face to face with the ground reality of their own Healthcare infrastructure. Also, countries across the world realize the requisites to bridge the gap between availability and the need for skilled and qualified paramedics.
- Hospitals mushrooming in every city to cater to the medical needs of the growing population has led to the dominance of the Healthcare sector.
- The Healthcare industry is one of the fastest-growing industries with a wide scope.
- The number of qualified, trained and skilled paramedical professionals is inadequate. These ofessionals are the ones who can help physicians take control of hectic situations.
All this is creating huge opportunities for paramedical professionals in the job markets.
Paramedical courses offer a diverse range of healthcare training programs that can provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to pursue a rewarding career in the healthcare industry. From certificate courses to postgraduate degrees, there are a variety of options available for students to choose from depending on their interests and career goals. The demand for healthcare professionals continues to grow, making paramedical courses an excellent choice for individuals who are passionate about helping others and want to make a difference in people's lives. Whether you are just starting your educational journey or looking to advance your career, pursuing a paramedical course can open up a world of opportunities in the dynamic and ever-evolving field of healthcare.
Know More About the Course
For all those dreaming to establish themselves in the healthcare industry, paramedical courses are the best option.
These are incredibly rewarding in terms of earning a livelihood and for all compassionate dreamers wanting to make a difference in the lives of people. We will discuss paramedical courses in detail.
Paramedical Courses FAQs
What is meant by a paramedical course?
What is the scope of paramedical courses in India?
How many years does it take to complete paramedical courses?
Does paramedical courses require NEET?
Which is the best diploma course in paramedical after 12th?
What are the eligibility criteria for paramedical courses?