|Phlebotomy Course Level||Cirtificate and Diploma|
|Phlebotomy Course Duration||Six Month – One Year|
|Phlebotomy Course Eligibility||Passed 10+2 with any subject, minimum of 50% marks|
|Phlebotomy Course Average Salary||Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000|
|Phlebotomy Course Top Recruiting Fields||Private Hospitals, Academic Institute or Colleges, Pathology Labs, Medical Content Writing, Military Services, and Most Important Government Jobs|
|Ways Of Doing Phlebotomy Course||Online, Offline with Blended Learning|
The course consists of a certificate program in Medical Lab Technology that is a short term specialization course to become a Phlebotomist.
With this course, you will be able to cover the fundamentals of quality blood assessment and the documentation of the same. The course entails modern screening methods as well as the types of diseases that can be tested via blood samples, such as phenylketonuria, etc.
Also Read: B Voc Course
A healthcare worker who exclusively takes care of the blood collection process by drawing blood for diagnostic purposes, and assists the medical laboratory technologist, doctors, and nurses are referred to as a Phlebotomist.
A Phlebotomist thus collects blood samples by venipuncture and fingerstick for:
- Investigation of a patient’s condition and treatment progress
- Processing of specimens for research purposes
- Testing where the blood group of the donor is to be determined in case of blood transfusion
- Adequate labeling
A Phlebotomist’s other Responsibilities Include:
- Conducting patient interviews and checking patients’ vital signs
- Transporting blood samples to the laboratory for testing
- Maintaining patient records
In case you want to make a career in healthcare as a paramedic, this is one of the courses you can choose from.
After passing class 12tth from a recognized board/university, you can apply for the Certificate course in Medical Laboratory Technology (CMLT) from any recognized institute approved by an accredited board.
To enroll in these programs, a candidate must:
- Have completed class 12th from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% aggregate
- Some colleges allow only Science stream students to apply for the course, however some institutions like VIROHAN, offer these courses to students from all streams.
- Possess a motor vehicle driving license because apart from collecting biological samples at the center, it would be the responsibility of the phlebotomist to carry out home sample collection, label them accurately and also deliver samples within set time frames.
Phlebotomy training courses vary in length and usually lead to a certificate of completion and in some cases a Diploma certificate.
The Certificate Course – CMLT is a short-term specialization course of a 6-month duration at VIROHAN. This includes 4 months of theory (for both offline and online batches) and 2 months of internship (only for offline batches).
Also Read: Bsc Nursing Course
To work as a phlebotomist, a certificate helps you forge ahead in your career and become a valuable part of a medical team because you help nurses and doctors diagnose medical conditions and better plan treatment strategies. Phlebotomists are crucial players in helping patients receive an accurate and timely diagnosis.
Because of the short program length, you can enter the workforce sooner and gain valuable experience. This certification can also be done online, helping an already working lab technician earn a certificate without any geographic or time constraints allowing working professionals to upskill and certify themselves without compromising on their respective jobs and habitation.
This program certified by NSDC focuses on the acquisition of skills necessary to develop key responsibilities like:
- Collecting, storing, and transporting blood specimens, etc.
- Practising infection control measures, from use of personal protective equipment (PPE) to disposal of biomedical waste cautiously.
- Giving basic first aid in the event of an emergency during venipuncture.
Also Read: X-Ray Technician Course
The course fee varies in different institutions depending on the length of the program, while some institutions provide practical training in the institute their course fee may be slightly higher than those institutions that provide internships after the theoretical course for the hands-on experience it ranges from 30-40,000 for the entire course duration.
Also Read: DMLT Course
- Introduction to Phlebotomy & Infection Control
- Legal Issues in Healthcare
- Introduction to Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Phlebotomy Equipment & Supplies
- Phlebotomy Procedures I & II
- Phlebotomy Fundamental Essentials
As a phlebotomist or laboratory technician, you will often be a patient’s only contact with the medical laboratory. Apart from working in a laboratory, you can also earn a living by applying for a job in places like – private or government hospitals, blood banks, diagnostic centres, or clinics.
Laboratory technicians provide up to 70% of patients’ laboratory testing to physicians so they can provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
Covid crisis has got the world au courant with medical laboratory technicians, increasing their requirement and the respect they deserve. The pandemic has created ample job opportunities in the healthcare sector for Phlebotomist.
Based on the experience one can get an initial salary of Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 15,000. But on the basis of experience, the salary increases.
Employers prefer to hire experienced workers with a certification.
Your options will multiply once you have taken the initial steps towards getting a certification. Why not get started today?
It is imperative and natural that you choose the best paramedical institute for your study in paramedical courses, where you acquire all the skills, build and transform them into a career, and get the best learning opportunities to build a career in healthcare industry.
To become a Phlebotomist in India, you are supposed to be certified by a recognized institution/college. The certification usually consists of theoretical and practical classes.
To apply for a Phlebotomy course follow these steps:
- Find an institution that offers certification course in Medical Lab Technology
- Visit their official website and go to the Admission section
- Or select the “Join” or “Apply” tab on the homepage
- Enter the required details in the form that opens up
- Pay the registration fee
- Once your enrollment is confirmed by the institution – Voilà! Your admission is successful
Also Read: General Duty Assistant Course
The training in the certification program includes practical training in testing the sample and assessing their condition. Identifying the problem and documenting the same religiously.
Virohan offers hands-on training experience by providing internships in top hospitals right after the theoretical duration of 4 months.
These healthcare courses are taught to you in such a way that you get the hands-on experience, practical knowledge, and insight to deal with patients in real life right after finishing the course.
Prior to your admission, you can go for career counselling at Virohan institute where psychometric assessments and informed guidance advise you to take admission in a field of your interest and also guide you about the scope of that field. This expert counselling helps you understand what is best for you, and offers you a deep understanding of the scope of the best job-oriented healthcare programs before you make a decision.
Phlebotomist Course FAQ's
What is phlebotomy?
What is the purpose of phlebotomy?
Who is a phlebotomist?
Is a phlebotomist a doctor?
How to become a phlebotomist?
What is the eligibility criteria required to become a phlebotomist?
How long does it take to become a phlebotomist?
Whereas a Diploma program, DMLT, is a one-year course?
What are the career opportunities after becoming a phlebotomist?