The OT Technicians course deals with every element of an operation theatre.
- It provides knowledge of disinfection and sterilization.
- It trains a learner to assist surgeons and anaesthetists in surgical procedures.
- It qualifies a learner to improve the quality of patient care provided in the healthcare facility.
Checkout B Voc OT Technician Course 3 Years Degree Program
|OTT Full Form||Operation Theatre Technology|
|OTT Course Level||Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma|
|OT Technician Course Duration||0ne-Two Year|
|OTT Course Eligibility||Passed 10+2 with any subject, minimum of 50% marks|
|OTT Course Average Salary||Rs 30,000 to Rs 40,000|
|OTT Course Top Recruiting Fields||Private Hospitals, Academic Institute or Colleges, Pathology Labs, Medical Content Writing, Military Services, and Most Important Government Jobs|
|Ways Of Doing Course||Online, Offline with Blended Learning|
Role of OT Technician
The role of operation theatre technology course candidates plays a pivotal role in pre-, intra-, and post-surgical scenarios.
Preparation before the surgery involves
- Properly arranging operation theatre equipment.
- Getting and reviewing documentation and permissions for the procedure.
- Procuring procedure-specific surgical tools and materials.
- Ensuring that everything required during the surgery is functioning and securely connected.
During The Surgery, Responsibilities Include
- Assisting the surgeon while performing the procedure.
- Positioning the patient for surgery.
- Providing technical aid wherever required.
- Ensuring proper functioning of the operation theatre equipment during surgery.
After the surgical procedure, the role of an OT technician involves
- Maintaining the stock of supplies.
- Rearranging instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Getting the operation theatre ready, and sanitized for the next surgery.
- Providing support to patients in the recovery phase.
Also Read: BSc Nursing Course
- The Operation Theatre Technicians / Technologists are a group of professionals with specific skills specialized in Operation Theatre Technology.
- They play an indispensable role in maintaining equipment, assisting the surgical team, and taking care of patients in recovery rooms.
- Some of the other personnel in this collective category are radiography technicians, and anaesthesia technicians to name a few.
Also Read: B Voc Courses
The Operation Theatre Assistant work collaboratively with other healthcare professionals, including surgeons, anesthesiologists, and nurses.
They have an important role in evaluating, monitoring, and assessing operation theatre situations. Their responsibilities include:
- Getting the operation theatre cleaned and thoroughly sanitized, ensuring sterilization of the surgical equipment.
- Keeping the affairs of the operation theatre in order.
- Keeping the equipment and machines ready and hassle-free.
- Providing technical assistance during surgery.
- Filling and maintaining the necessary documentation and permissions. Procuring, restocking and arranging all equipment, tools, materials necessary for the upcoming surgery.
Allied healthcare professionals, OTT, are indispensable to the healthcare system.
- The advances in the medical field are dramatic and the demand for trained OTT professionals is ever-increasing.
- Every hospital that has an operating theatre requires well-trained OTTs.
- Experienced OTTs are also hired for research, education, or mentorship.
Thus there’s a need for a robust operating theatre technology workforce.
- Good communication and behavioural skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within the team.
- Punctilious, eye for detail, and critical thinking.
- Compassion towards patients.
- Strength and endurance to sustain in unpredictable shifts. Attentive and courageous to deal with not-so-pleasant cases in emergencies.
With a degree in Operation Theatre sciences, you can have quite a stellar career. There are numerous avenues to acquire a decent job and excel in this field.
- International health services
- Government health services
- Educational institutions
- Nursing homes or private hospitals
OTT professionals can also get hired in the sales and marketing and central sterile services departments of healthcare facilities.
Also Read: X-Ray Technician Course
- The trainee-level executives can directly join a laboratory or a hospital and earn somewhere between Rs.10,000 to Rs. 20,000 per month.
- A well-experienced and skilled person can obviously earn more. The government is the model employer offering salaries between Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 40,000
- A similar salary range is offered by the leading hospitals in the country where the technologists earn more than Rs. 40,000
- There is no cap on the salary, with increasing experience, one’s remuneration and benefits increase dramatically.
- Many employers also offer healthcare benefits and other allowances to their employees.
Also Read: Hospital Administration Course
- Jobs are available in both state and central governments in India.
- Candidates from any part of the country can apply for the vacancies.
- The candidates should meet the essential requirements which are listed below:
- Should have cleared class 12 from recognized board/university
- Should have a diploma in OTT and 2 years of experience in a recognized hospital/institute or a bachelor’s degree in OTT
Most of the paramedical courses including certificate and diploma programs are offered at the Virohan institute of health and management sciences.
- Join a program for a Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Operating Theatre Technology – DOTT or ADOTT.
- To take admission in DOTT, you must have passed class 12 from a recognized board/university.
- The programs at Virohan are taught as a combination of classroom lectures and internships.
- This fully equips you with practical skills and theoretical knowledge.
- The course is taught to you in such a way that you get the hands-on experience, and insight to deal with patients in real life right after finishing the course.
- Virohan is an NSDC-affiliated institute with a placement partner network of 650 organizations like GE, FORTIS, and many more.
- For working professionals, Virohan is providing Online OTT courses.
Virohan institute of health and management sciences contributes a fair share to the healthcare industry by producing scores of impeccably honed, well-trained, ready-for-the-job professionals every year.
OTT course provides the candidate with all the necessary skill sets required to become a successful OT technician. The course entails skills such as Good Communication Skills, Technical (Clinical and Pharmacological) Knowledge, Behavioral Skills, etc. A lot of precision is required to become an OT Technician as the paramedic professional has to attend to the patient for movement from ward to OT, surgical site preparation, OT room and equipment preparation with other roles.
To pursue an OTT course, one can choose any one of the programs offered in Operating Theatre Technology:
- Diploma and advanced diploma programs in Operation Theatre Technology (DOTT and ADOTT)- with a duration of 1-2 years and 5-6 months internship
- Bachelor's in Operation Theatre Technology (BOTT)- is a 3 years program. It has a compulsory 6 months to a one-year internship.
Also Read: Emergency Medical Technician
Course fees may vary depending on the institute and program chosen. Here is a list of programs with their fee range:
|Diploma||1-2 years||70,000 – 1,00,000|
|Advanced Diploma||2 years||1,00,000 – 2,00,000|
|Graduation (B.Sc)||3 years||1,50,000 – 5,00,000|
|Graduation (B.Voc)||3 years (including 18 month internship)||3,00,000 – 4,00,000|
Students enrolling in the program must have passed class 12th with a minimum of 45-50% aggregate, from a recognized board. The students who want to pursue the course may belong to any stream, for institutes such as Virohan, but for other institutions students who have completed their class 12th with Science stream i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Mathematics are only eligible.
Also Read: General Duty Assistant Course
The admission process for the OTT course is as follows:
- Check out the institution websites and choose the course of your choice
- Fill out the application/ registration form under the admission section
- Alternatively, you can contact the institution directly to get assistance
- You may also mail your information or query to the official mail id of the institution. For most colleges/ institutions it begins with admissions@(institute name).com
- It is a diploma-level course. It is a 1-year course with 5 months of internship.
- It provides knowledge to handle advanced lab equipment and assist surgeons.
- Candidates are trained to work in and manage an operation theatre.
- It involves managing the patients in and out of the OT.
- It involves arranging the surgical and operating instruments, dressing and anaesthesia table.
- After graduating with a diploma in OT the job profiles you can pursue can be that of an OT technician, lab technician as well as and anaesthesia technician.
Know More about Medical Terminology
The course curriculum is so devised that the students are entirely transformed into responsible professionals at the end of the course.
The basic subjects in the course curriculum are:
- Anatomy Physiology
- Pathology Microbiology
- Medical ethics and communication for healthcare professionals
- Hospital administration and training
- Principles of anaesthesia
- Pharmacology Basics of computer
- Principles of management
- CSSD procedures
These are the core subjects.
The more advanced and in-depth study follows in further semesters of the course.
- Blended learning approach used for content delivery
- Attractive internship opportunities with hands-on training at Top hospitals
- English language and Power Skills training
- 100% Placement support
- Content available and accessible 24 x 7 via myCareer app
- Diploma and Advanced Diploma options available at an affordable fee
- No cost EMI available for fee payment in easy installments
Also Read: Phlebotomist Course
FAQ's for OT Technician Course
What is the full form of OTT?
What is the qualification for OTT?
What is the salary of an OT technician?
What are the subjects in the Operation Theatre Technology course?
What are the career opportunities after the OTT course?
Can I do government jobs after the OTT course?
Can anyone pursue OTT after class 10th?
Is Neet required for the OTT course?
Is an Operation Theatre Technologist a doctor?
Why Virohan for the OTT course?