General Duty Assistants work with/ under the guidance of doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals to provide medical assistance to patients. They work in hospitals, clinics and sometimes at the homes of sick patients. A General Duty Assistant can also be a medical orderly, nurse assistant, nurse helper, bedside assistant, and patient care assistant.
Download Virohan myCareer App for General Duty Assistant Courses
General Duty Assistant Course Information
|GDA Course Full Form||General Duty Assistant|
|GDA Course Duration||Certificate Course: 6 Months|
Diploma/PG Diploma: 1-2 Years
Bachelor in Duty Assistant: 4 Years
Masters in General Duty Assistant: 2 Years
|GDA Eligibility Criteria||Passed 10+2 with Science|
|GDA Course Fee||INR 6,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|GDA Average salary||INR 1,50,000 to INR 2,50,000 pa onwards|
General Duty Assistant students must be able to:
- Follow instructions given by doctors/ nurses to provide proper prescribed assistance to patients.
- Deal with patients with care, empathy and skill.
- Have good communication skills and should follow ethical behaviour at all times.
Also Read: Lab Assistant Course
The GDA course comprises of:
- Discussion and practice as primary healthcare professional.
- Learn techniques on how to maintain personal patient hygiene
- Know and practice infection control
- Promote safety awareness to know about the functioning of protective devices and the precautions to be taken while using oxygen therapy
- Proper education on bio-medical waste management
- To learn essential life support/ CPR.
- Manage emergency medical situations.
- Demonstrate good personal hygiene, professional appearance and behaviour.
Also Read: Paramedical Course
- Certificate Courses: Full-time(Regular) or Part-time courses/Online courses
- Diploma Courses: Full-time or Part-time
- Undergraduate Courses: Regular and Distance(Full-time)
- Postgraduate Courses: Full-time (Regular and Distance)
- Doctorate: Full Time (Regular and Distance)
Also Read: ANM Nursing Course
- The recommended minimum course duration for certificate courses: 6 months
- Diploma/ PG diploma courses: 1-2 years, depending on universities.
- Bachelor in Duty Assistant: 4 years
- Masters in General Duty Assistant: 2 years
Also Read: B Voc Course
- GDA-Certificate course: 6000/- to 3,00,000/-
- GDA-Diploma: 50,000/- to 1,00,000/-
- GDA-UG: 20,000/- to 5,00,000/-
- GDA-PG: 40,000/- to 2,00,000/-
- GDA-Doctorate: 10,000/- to 2,00,000/-
Anyone who has passed their 10/12th standard exams with a minimum of 50% marks. 12th-pass science students get a preference for admission.
Admissions In General Duty Assistant Course
- Admission for General Duty Assistant courses is available in some universities in India.
- The Indian government has launched skilled workers courses where enrolment for GDA is done online.
- Many university websites offer courses as easy online applications.
- Admission to reputed universities is made based on 10th and 12th marks
- Some colleges have an entrance exam for medical GDA courses
Also Read: DMLT Course
Anyone who has passed 12th standard with science can enrol for diploma, certificate and UG General Duty Assistant courses. PG courses need graduation with 50% marks and at least one year of hospital work experience.
Also Read: MBA in Hospital Management
- Introduction to the healthcare system
- Function of a patient care assistant
- Introduction to human body structure and functions
- Biomedical waste management
- Emergency medical espouse
- Body mechanics
- Position/transfer and mobility of the patient
- Observation and reporting
- Consent documentation and records
- Patient care and needs
- Elimination theory
- Bed making
- Fall prevention
- Mortuary preparation
- GDA- sanitation, safety and first aid
- Infection control and prevention
- Fire safety and security
- Emergency healthcare for a patient on call
- Soft skills and communication
General Duty Assistant Salary And Perks
A GDA can work as a:
|Dental Assistant||Salary starts from 1,50,000/- pa|
|Phlebotomist||Salary starts 2,00,000/- pa|
|Physical therapy assistant||Salary starts 2,76,,000/- pa|
|Nursing Assistant||Salary range: 2,50,000/- pa onwards|
Job Opportunities for General Duty Assistant
Due to increased awareness in the healthcare industry, there are several openings for general duty assistants in most reputed hospitals and clinics in India.
Candidates can work as Dental assistants, Physical therapist assistants, Physiotherapy assistants, Nurse assistants, and any other healthcare professional assistant.
A General Duty Assistant can be a perfect professional option for 12th-pass candidates interested in the healthcare sector. It is less expensive than other medical assistant courses. The healthcare sector has sufficient vacancies for GDAs in India. You can also easily enrol in one of these courses via Government skill courses or Professional educational programs at Virohan Academy campuses in Ahmedabad, Delhi, Bengaluru and Bhilai.
Also Read: Emergency Medical Technician