Emergency Medical Technician: Course, Duration, Eligibility, Salary After 12th
EMT full form is Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) which trained medical professional who responds to emergency medical situations and provides immediate care to patients before they reach a hospital. EMTs assess patients' conditions, stabilize them if necessary, and transport them to the nearest medical facility. They are equipped to handle a range of emergencies, including heart attacks, strokes, car accidents, and other life-threatening situations.
EMTs are trained to use basic life support equipment, such as defibrillators, oxygen tanks, and stretchers, to provide life-saving care to patients in emergency situations.
Working as an EMT is a rewarding and challenging career, with opportunities for growth and advancement in the field. With increasing demand for emergency medical services, the job outlook for EMTs is strong, and EMTs play a critical role in ensuring that patients receive the care they need in times of emergency.
Emergency Medical Technician Course Details
|EMT Full Form||Emergency Medical Technician|
|EMT Duration||Certificate- 6 months, Undergraduate- 3 years, Postgraduate- 2 years|
|EMT Fees||Ranges from INR 35,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Job Profile||Emergency Medical Dispatcher, Emergency Room Nurse|
|EMT Salary||Ranges from INR 2 LPA to INR INR 3 LPA|
- The Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) courses comprise four levels: Certificate, Diploma, Graduate and Postgraduate.
- These courses are now available on campuses as well as online.
- The Indian Institute of Skill Development also provides certificate courses to train Emergency Medical technicians.
- Various VIROHAN Campuses in Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhilai, Delhi, Faridabad, Gurgaon, Meerut, Thane, Raipur, and Surat offer certificate EMT courses.
Emergency medical technicians are healthcare professionals who help handle life-saving situations in a hospital or in an ambulatory setting.
EMTs are trained and equipped to efficiently handle medical situations like accidents, mishaps and other health emergencies like:
- Preliminary checks
- Basic life support care like oxygen
- Dress up wounds
- Help to control bleeding
- Intravenous cannulation
- Assisting emergency childbirth and essential newborn care
- Automated external defibrillation
- Airway maintenance
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Spinal immoblisation
- Fracture management
Also Read: Paramedical Courses
Who Can Opt For The Emergency Medical Technician Course? - Eligibility Criteria
- Anyone who has passed 12th standard can apply for this course.
- The candidate should be physically capable to perform all medical emergency tasks.
Also Read: DMLT Course
Students can opt for any EMT course after finishing 12th standard for the certificate, diploma and graduate courses.
The postgraduate courses are offered only to students with a medical graduate background. Students can enrol in online courses all year round. Emergency Medical Technician Course Structure And Curriculum
Emergency Medical Technician Certification
A certificate course in Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) provides comprehensive training for individuals who want to work in the field of emergency medical services. The course covers essential skills and knowledge in areas such as anatomy, pharmacology, airway management, cardiac emergencies, trauma management, and patient assessment.
- Duration: 2-6months
- Eligibility: Individuals who wish to enroll in an EMT certificate course must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
1. Human body – Anatomy and physiology
2. Medical terminology
3. Medical law/ethics
4. Infection control
5. Patient assessment
6. First aid care
7. Medical emergencies
8. Trauma care emergency
Emergency Medical Technician Undergraduate Course
Undergraduate Course in Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) is a program designed to train students in providing emergency medical care in pre-hospital and out-of-hospital settings. The course covers various aspects of emergency medical care including anatomy, physiology, basic life support, and patient assessment.
- Duration: 3 years
- Eligibility: To be eligible for an undergraduate course in EMT, candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Some programs may also require a CPR certification and completion of a medical terminology course.
1. Physiology & Anatomy
2. Basic Biochemistry
9. Introduction to Emergency Services
10. Surgical Emergencies
11. Medical Emergencies
12. Burns, Trauma & Electrocution
13. Paediatric Emergencies
14. Hospital Management
15. Emergency Department Pharmacology
16. Psychiatric, Geriatrics
17. Medical Ethics
18. Emergency Department Equipment
19. Environmental Health and Science
20. Computer Application
21. Biostatic & Research Methodology
Emergency Medical Technician Post Graduate Course
A Post Graduate course in Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) is a higher level program that provides advanced training in pre-hospital emergency medical care. This program is intended for individuals who have completed an undergraduate course in EMT or have equivalent experience in the field.
- Duration: 2 years
- Eligibility: To be eligible for a Post Graduate course in EMT, candidates must have completed an undergraduate course in EMT or have equivalent experience in the field. Some programs may also require certification as a basic EMT and current certification in CPR.
1. Clinical & Chemical Pathology for Emergency Medicine
2. Human Anatomy for Emergency Medicine
3. Trauma care
4. Medical Physiology for Emergency Medicine
5. Basic Critical Care for Emergency Medicine
6. Medical Microbiology for Emergency Medicine
7. Pulmonary and Cardiac Emergencies
8. Gynaecological and Obstetric Emergencies
9. Paediatric Emergencies
10. Eye and Ear Emergencies
11. Surgical Emergencies
12. Imaging for Emergency Medicine
13. Internal Medicine for Emergency Medicine
14. Advanced Courses for Emergency Medicine
15. Advanced Obstetrics & Gynaecology for Emergency Medicine
16. Advanced Clinical Toxicology
17. Advanced Neuropsychiatry for Emergency Medicine
18. Advanced Cardiac Emergencies
19. Advanced Trauma Management
20. Advanced Surgery for Emergency Medicine
21. Advanced Paediatric Emergencies
22. Advanced Pulmonary Emergencies
23. Administration/ Planning in the Emergency department
24. Forensic Medicine & Clinical Toxicology for Emergency Medicine
25. Disaster Management
Also Read: OT Technician Course
The cost of an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) course in India varies depending on various factors such as the type of institution, type of the course you choose, and the location of the institute. Here is a list of EMT courses fees offered by various institute.
|EMT Course Level||Fees|
|Certificate Course||INR 35,000|
|Undergraduate Course||INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Postgraduate Course||INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,000|
In most cases, previous experience is not mandatory, as it is still a developing speciality in India. The salary can range from 2 to 14 lakhs INR per annum, depending on the recruiter and the experience of the candidate. Freshers can expect a package of 2-3lakhs per annum.
A career as an EMT offers a stable career and life growth in the medical field.
Most prominent Hospitals and Medical establishments in metro cities have job openings for Emergency Medical Technicians/ room technicians in emergency departments.
Some of them are:
- Apollo Hospital
- Global Hospitals
- Fortis Hospital
- Fortis Healthcare Limited
- Max Healthcare
- Manipal Hospital
- KokilaBen Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital
You can also apply as:
- A medical assistant in private clinics
- Academics trainer in colleges
- Medical content writing
- Health information technician
Also Read: B Voc Course
What are the fees for the Emergency Medical Technician course?
Do we need to keep doing the EMT course every few years?
Can I be a paramedic after doing the Emergency medical technician course?
Do NEET scores matter for EMT admission?
Can I go abroad to do an EMT course?
I have passed my 12th with Arts, can I apply to be an EMT?
to receive awesome content in your inbox,
We will get back to you in 2-3 days.