Are you planning to pursue a career in science or research? If yes, then you must have heard about the National Entrance Screening Test (NEST). The NEST exam is a national-level entrance test conducted every year for admission to the five-year integrated M.Sc program in basic sciences at the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar and the University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CEBS), Mumbai.
NEST 2023 is just around the corner, and it's time to gear up and start your preparations. With a challenging syllabus and a limited number of seats, the NEST exam demands an intense and focused approach to crack it. But don't worry, with the right strategy and guidance, you can surely ace the exam and fulfill your dream of pursuing a career in science.
In this blog, we will cover everything you need to know about the NEST exam 2023, from the exam pattern and syllabus to tips and tricks to crack the exam. So, let's get started and take the first step toward achieving your career goals!
Checkout Paramedical Courses Without Entrance Exam:
NEST stands for National Entrance Screening Test. It is a national-level entrance exam conducted for admission to the five-year integrated M.Sc program in basic sciences at NISER, Bhubaneswar and UM-DAE CEBS, Mumbai. The exam tests a candidate's knowledge in the fields of biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics. The exam is conducted annually and is known for its challenging syllabus and limited number of seats. Cracking the NEST exam is a dream for many students who want to pursue a career in science or research.
|NEST Exam Full Name||National Entrance Screening Test|
|Conducting Body||National Institute of Science Education and Research|
|Frequency of Conduct||Once a year|
|Exam Level||National Level Exam|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Application Fee||INR 1200|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Release of Application Form||27 February 2023|
|Last Date of Application Form||17 May 2023|
|Release of Admit Card||12 June 2023|
|Exam Date||24 June 2023|
|Result Date||10 July 2023|
Checkout Other Entrance Exam Dates:
The NEST Exam eligibility criteria are a set of rules and norms that all candidates must satisfy before applying for the entrance test. Some of the important eligibility criteria for NEST 2023 are as follows:
Age Criteria: Candidates must have been born on or after August 2000 to be eligible for the NEST Exam. General and OBC candidates do not have any relaxation in the age criteria, whereas SC/ST candidates get a total of five years of age relaxation.
Educational Qualification: Candidates should have completed their 10+2 examination from a recognized board or institution. Final year students are also eligible to apply for the NEST Exam.
Academic Qualification: Candidates must have Mathematics as a mandatory subject in their 10+2 examination. In addition, they should have studied other mandatory subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Life Science subjects.
Minimum Marks Required: Candidates must have scored a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate in their 10+2 final examination for general category students. For SC/ST students, the minimum marks required is 55% in aggregate.
It is important to note that fulfilling the eligibility criteria does not guarantee admission to the program. Candidates have to appear for the NEST Exam and qualify with a good score to secure a seat in the program.
The NEST Exam 2023 application process has been started. The application process for the exam is conducted online, and candidates have to follow the steps given below to apply:
Step 1: Registration - Candidates need to visit the official website of NEST and click on the 'New Registration link. They will have to provide their basic details like name, email id, mobile number, etc. to complete the registration process.
Step 2: Fill Application Form - Once the registration is completed, candidates can log in using their email id and password and fill the application form. They will have to provide their personal, educational, and communication details along with uploading scanned copies of their photograph and signature.
Step 3: Pay Application Fee - After filling the application form, candidates need to pay the application fee. Candidates can pay the application fee online using a debit card, credit card, or net banking.
Step 4: Submit Application Form - After paying the application fee, candidates need to submit the application form. They are advised to take a printout of the filled application form for future reference.
Candidates must ensure that they fill in all the details correctly and completely. Any discrepancy in the application form may lead to the rejection of the application. It is important to note that the NEST Exam application process is online, and no offline mode of application is available.
Checkout Entrance Exam Application Form:
- CUET 2023 Application Foum
- JIPMER 2023 Application Form
- NEET 2023 Application Form
- CLAT 2024 Application Form
|SC/ST/PWD Female||INR 600|
Candidates can pay the application fee online using a debit/credit card, net banking, or other online payment modes. It is important to note that the application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Candidates are advised to check the official notification for the exact amount of the application fee and any changes in the payment process. It is also important to ensure that the payment is successful and the application form is submitted before the deadline. Failure to pay the application fee or submit the application form before the deadline can lead to the rejection of the application.
- Cell Biology
- Genetics and Evolution
- Humans and Enviroment
- Biology of Animal system
- Developmental Biology
- Biology of Plant systems
1. Physical Chemistry:
- Measurements in Chemistry
- Male concepts
- Gaseous and liquid states
- Atomic structure and chemical bonding
- Chemical equilibrium
- Chemical kinetics
- Solid state
2. Surface chemistry:
- Colloidal state
3. Inorganic Chemistry:
- s– Block elements (Alkali and alkaline earth elements) – General characteristics and trends
- p– Block elements - General characteristics and trends in properties.
- d–Block elements - (Mainly 3d elements) General characteristics and trends in properties.
- f–Block elements- (mainly lanthanides) General characteristics and trends in properties.
4. Organic Chemistry:
- Basic concepts
- Reactive intermediates
- Alkenes and Alkynes
- Aromatic compounds
- Haloalkanes (Alkyl halides)
- Aldehydes and Ketones
- Carboxylic acids
- Amino acids and proteins
- Analytical geometry
- Differential calculus
- Integral calculus
- General Physics
- Sound and mechanical waves
- Thermal physics
- Electricity and magnetism
- Modern physics
- The NEST Exam is a computer-based test.
- The duration of the exam is 3 hours 30 minutes.
- The question paper consists of 4 sections, i.e., Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology.
- There are Objective-type of questions - Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs), Multiple Selection Questions (MSQs)
- Total Questions 68 and the total marks for the NEST Exam is 200
- For MCQ question: +2.5 for each correct answer, -1 for each incorrect answer, No negative marking for unattempted questions
- For MSQ questions: +4 for each correct answer, No negative marking scheme
Checkout Entrance Exam Patterns:
1. Understand the Syllabus: The first step to preparing for the NEST Exam is to understand the syllabus and the topics that you need to cover. Make a list of all the topics and prioritize them based on their importance and weightage in the exam.
2. Create a Study Plan: Once you have a clear understanding of the syllabus, create a study plan that suits your schedule and preferences. Allocate sufficient time for each subject and topic, and make sure you cover all the important topics before the exam.
3. Practice Previous Year Question Papers: Practicing previous year question papers can give you an idea of the exam pattern and the types of questions that can be asked. It can also help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus on the areas that need more attention.
4. Take Mock Tests: Mock tests can help you assess your level of preparation and give you a real-time experience of the actual exam. Take as many mock tests as possible and try to improve your speed and accuracy.
5. Revise Regularly: Revision is an essential part of exam preparation. Make sure you revise the important topics and formulas regularly to ensure they stay fresh in your memory.
6. Seek Guidance: If you face any difficulty in understanding a concept or topic, seek guidance from your teachers or mentors. Joining a coaching institute or taking online classes can also be helpful in understanding difficult topics and clearing your doubts.
7. Stay Healthy: Lastly, don't forget to take care of your physical and mental health. Take breaks, exercise, eat healthy, and get enough sleep to keep yourself fresh and alert during the exam.
By following these tips and strategies, you can improve your chances of cracking the NEST Exam and securing a seat in the program of your choice.
Checkout Entrance Exams Preparation Tips:
- CLAT Exam Preparation Tips
- CUET Exam Preparation Tips
- XAT Exam Preparation Tips
- JIPMER Exam Preparation Tips
- NEET Exam Preparation Tips
The NEST 2023 Admit Card is expected to be released in April 2023, a few weeks before the exam date. Candidates can download the admit card from the official website of NEST Exam by following the steps given below:
- Visit the Official Website: Candidates have to visit the official website of NEST Exam and click on the admit card link.
- Login: Candidates have to log in using their registered email id and password.
- Download Admit Card: After logging in, candidates can download the admit card and take a printout of the same.
It is important to note that candidates have to carry the admit card to the exam center along with a valid photo ID proof. The admit card contains important details like the candidate's name, roll number, exam center details, and exam timings. Candidates are advised to check all the details mentioned on the admit card carefully and inform the exam conducting authorities in case of any discrepancies.
In case a candidate is unable to download the admit card, they should immediately contact the NEST Exam authorities and get the issue resolved before the exam date.
Checkout Other Exam Information:
NEST Exam FAQ's
What is the full form of NEST?
What is the eligibility criteria for NEST Exam?
What is the exam pattern for NEST Exam?
How can I apply for the NEST Exam?
What is the selection process for NEST Exam?