Medical Lab Technician: Course, Eligibility, Jobs and Salary
Medical Lab Technicians constitute a group of professionals specialised in medical laboratory sciences.
A medical lab technician is a healthcare professional who is trained to collect, analyse, and interpret patients’ clinical samples. Medical lab technicians work across diverse healthcare settings, including hospitals, clinics, research laboratories, and diagnostic centres. Their work serves as the foundation for accurate diagnoses, treatment planning, and monitoring of patients' health.
Being a doctor is not the only role you can play in the healthcare sector. Candidates looking to explore other ways to contribute to the healthcare sector and people’s wellbeing can explore this career option.
Numerous institutes provide courses for medical lab technicians, and among them is the Virohan Institute, which not only imparts valuable skills but also opens up abundant opportunities for students to grow in the dynamic healthcare field.
Also Read: BSc MLT Course
The Medical Lab Technician (MLT)course is a highly specialised and rewarding career option within the healthcare industry. The MLT course details are as follows:
|MLT Full Form||Medical Laboratory Technology|
|MLT course duration||6 months to 3 years (Depending on the MLT course level)|
|MLT Course Qualification||Candidates must have passed 10+2 with minimum 50% marks in PCB/PCMB|
|MLT course average annual fees||Government institutes - INR 20,000 to 50,000 |
Private institutes - INR 1 to 1.5 lakhs
|MLT course job profiles||Phlebotomists, lab technologist, pathology technician, pharmacy technician, anaesthesia technician, etc.|
|MLT course top recruiting fields||Pathology labs, research labs, specialised clinics, pharmaceutical companies, diagnostic centres, hospitals, nursing homes, academic institutions, etc.|
|MLT course average annual salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 5,00,000|
- Medical Laboratory Technology, a crucial branch of paramedical science, focuses on the biochemical, pathological, and microscopic examination of cells, tissues, and bodily fluids.
- It imparts skills to aspiring medical lab technicians to aid physicians to devise a treatment plan by conducting laboratory tests, analysing specimens, and actively contributing to the delivery of high-quality healthcare services.
- Medical lab technicians play an indispensable role in the medical field, offering vital support to healthcare professionals in the diagnosis and management of diseases.
A medical lab technician has the skills to perform a large number of clinical tests and operate highly intricate, modern equipment. MLTs are responsible for a wide range of tasks, including:
- Collecting and preparing samples, such as blood, urine, tissue, etc.
- Performing tests on samples using a variety of equipment and techniques.
- Analysing and interpreting test results.
- Reporting results to doctors and other healthcare professionals
- Maintaining laboratory equipment
- Ensuring that laboratory procedures are followed correctly and safely
The medical lab technicians/technologists usually work collaboratively with other healthcare professionals.
Also Read: Reasons to do MLT Course
The fees for the Medical Lab Technician course) programs can vary depending on its level and the institute offering it. However, on average, MLT course fees in India range from INR 20,000 to INR 2,00,000 for the entire duration of the program.
|Government institute||INR 20,000 to 50,000|
|Private institute||INR 1,00,000 to 1,50,000|
Note - Different institutions may have different MLT course fees structure, so please make sure you refer to their details at the time of application.
To establish yourself as a healthcare worker other than a doctor, you can choose the MLT course. One can join the allied healthcare workforce and serve the community after completing the medical lab technician programs of varying duration:
- CMLT- Certification in medical laboratory technology is a short-term specialisation course of varying duration. The duration can range from - it can be a 3 or 6 months duration programMay with 2 months of internship. (May include internship as per specific university guidelines).
- DMLT- Diploma in medical laboratory technology - is primarily a 1-2 years program (May include internship as per specific university guidelines)1-year program with 5 months of internship.
- ADMLT- Advanced diploma in medical laboratory technology- is primarily a 2-year program with 6 months of internship. 1.5-2 years program (May include internship as per specific university guidelines)
- BMLT- bBachelor in medical laboratory technology is technology is technology's program - is usually of is a 3-year duration program with 6 months to a one-year internship.
These medical lab technician courses in the program are taught as a combination of classroom lectures and laboratory practical sessions. This comprehensively prepares and equip the aspiring medical lab technicians. This is to fully prepare you and equip you with the practical skills and theoretical knowledge they need in the line of work.
These MLT programs are offered at various institutions across India including Virohan. Virohan not only provides these traditional classroom-based courses but also extends a valuable opportunity to working professionals. Through their online programs, individuals can opt for the CMLT and DMLT to advance their careers as medical lab technicians.
To secure admission in medical lab technician courses, specific prerequisites must be met.
- For CMLT course, aspiring medical lab technicians must have passed their class 10th
- To enrol in courses such as DMLT , ADMLT, or BMLT, a minimum requirement is a successful completion of class 12th with minimum 50% marks in PCB/PCMB (Some universities may take an entrance examination)
Note - Different institutions may have different eligibility criteria for medical lab technician courses, so please make sure you refer to their details at the time of application.
Are you from an arts or commerce background and still want to join the healthcare sector? Don’t worry because not all institutes require a background in science and biology to apply for paramedical courses. Virohan Institute, with its campuses pan India, provides an opportunity to students from any stream to apply and take admission in any of its various paramedical courses. Further, Virohan courses have 50% of course duration in the form of industry internships which gives students an opportunity to get practical experience with top healthcare organisations. So irrespective of what stream you are from, check out Virohan’s courses and start your journey towards a fulfilling career in healthcare today!
The medical lab technician course structure may vary from one institute to another.
The MLT course curriculum is designed with an aim to transform so devised that the students are entirely transformed into responsible professionals at the end of the course. This course curriculum helps aspiring medical lab technicians in gaining enough ability to apply the principles of basic science in everyday practice. This enables technicians to execute their daily duties with professionalism and best character.
Below are some of the subjects covered in the medical lab technician course:
In order to achieve this, the basic subjects in the course curriculum are:
1st Year Medical Lab Technician Course Subjects
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Health Education and Health Communication
- Bio-Medical Waste Management
2nd Year Medical Lab Technician Course Subjects
- Clinical Haematology
- Immunology and Serology
- Histopathology and Histotechniques
3rd Year Medical Lab Technician Course Subjects
- Immunohematology and Blood Banking
- Clinical Enzymology and Automation
- Parasitology and Virology
- Diagnostic Cytology
- Principles of Lab Management and Medical Ethics
Also Read: B Voc MLT Course
Aspiring medical lab technicians can find employment in a wide range of settings, including:
- Pathology Labs
- Research Labs
- Specialised Clinics such as urology, IVF, eye, etc.
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Medical Device Manufacturing Companies
- Private Clinics
- Diagnostic Centres
- Nursing Homes
- Academic Institutions
Also Read: BSc Nursing Course
On completion of the medical lab technician course, you can apply for various job profiles; some of these include:
- The most sought after job profile is that of a phlebotomist.
- The other job roles are that of a Lab technologist, pathology technician, pharmacy technician, anesthesia technician, radiology technician, etc.
- As you progress in your career, there's potential for growth into roles such as a Lab Supervisor or Manager, where your expertise will be key to managing laboratory operations efficiently.
- For those with a knack for information systems, the path may lead to becoming a Laboratory Information System Analyst, a role where your dedication and skills play a crucial role.
- Moreover, the scope extends beyond traditional roles. You can explore opportunities as a Research Associate, getting into the world of scientific exploration, or embrace a career as a Medical Writer, translating complex medical concepts into understandable content.
Also Read: B Voc Course
The salary of medical lab technicians in India depends on the education, experience and skills of the individual as well as size and location of the company.
Entry-Level MLT salary:
- Trainee-level medical lab technicians have the option to directly join laboratories or hospitals.
- Monthly earnings typically range from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000.
- Government roles for medical lab technicians are considered model employers with salaries ranging from Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 40,000 per month.
Leading Hospitals and Laboratories:
- Top hospitals and laboratories across the country offer a comparable salary range to medical lab technicians.
- Senior medical lab technicians in these institutions can earn upwards of Rs. 40,000 monthly.
- Many employers provide healthcare benefits and various allowances to enhance the overall compensation package for their employees.
Admission to the medical lab technician programs at Virohan is based on merit, determined by the candidate's academic record. There is no entrance exam or interview required for admission to the program. To apply for the medical lab technician course program, prospective students must have passed 10+2 or equivalent from a recognized board from any stream.
Interested candidates are required to fill out an application form and submit it along with their personal details. The admission committee at Virohan will review the applications and connect with eligible candidates for admission.
What is the full form of the MLT?
What is a paramedical lab technician course?
Which course is best to become a Medical Lab Technician?
What is the Medical Lab Technician course eligibility?
What are the career opportunities after a medical lab technology Course?
Is Neet Required For Medical Lab Technology?
Can I Do Government Jobs After Medical Lab Technology Course?
to receive awesome content in your inbox,
We will get back to you in 2-3 days.