Scope & Importance of Paramedical Courses in India
What makes a course better than the others depends on various factors, such as
- Professional stability
- Recession effects
- Job opportunities
Today the advances in the healthcare sector are dramatic and the demand for paramedics is intensifying.
The life expectancy of the population has increased owing to new treatments and technological advancements. More and more people are in need of care and treatments.
All paramedical courses are thus in great demand.
So you can be rest assured that there will always be a huge demand for your skills and experience after you complete your paramedical course program.
There are different types of courses you can opt for. The various levels in course models are:
- Certificate course in paramedical sciences
- Diploma in paramedical sciences
- Advanced diploma in paramedical sciences
- Bachelor’s degree in paramedical sciences
- Postgraduate course in paramedical sciences
Let us take a look at them one by one.
The candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree in the relevant field to opt for the PG course.
- It helps secure a coveted role in your field.
- It improves job prospects.
- One deterrent is that the courses can be expensive.
- It will slow down your road to earning a livelihood.
- It can take upto 3 years to earn your PG degree.
- It has good salary prospects.
- It has good prospects of growth and higher studies (M.Sc/Post-graduation course).
- It is 3 years in duration. Not suitable for those who want to start earning after a condensed time frame.
- The expense of the course is higher than diploma and certificate courses.
- Diploma course in the paramedical course
Also Read: B.Voc Course
- It is the shortest duration course (usually 6 months).
- It provides quick job acquisition.
- It is the cheapest option.
- It facilitates early entry into the workforce.
- It grants you the lowest possible qualification to join the healthcare workforce.
- It offers a lower salary.
- The prospects of higher studies and growth are not brilliant.
- If you join a job with just a certificate course, it may not help you improve academically relative to other courses.
Diploma and advanced diploma programs are a perfect balance of the certificate and bachelor’s course models mentioned above.
A great option for those looking to-
- Spend less on their qualification program.
- Earn fast in a relatively short duration of time.
- Work in a profession with good growth prospects.
- Work in a profession with increasing job opportunities.
- A diploma course is usually a one year course and an advanced diploma course is usually of two years duration, hence a shorter investment of your time.
- These courses make you job-ready in a short time frame.
- They are relatively cheaper to pursue.
- You can join a bridge course for lateral entry into a bachelors’ degree.
- Eventually, you can opt to specialize in a masters’ degree and research.
- This model does not burden you financially or otherwise and keeps you steadily progressing throughout your career.
- Professionals with degree courses are preferred over diploma holders.
- Diplomas can be used for limited job roles.
The scope of the paramedical sector in today’s world is immense, as there are plenty of jobs available in the public as well as the private sector. The Healthcare industry is considered to be one of the fastest-growing industries and has a wide scope.
Moreover, there is a great need to improve the health sector, something we all learned the hard way because of the unforeseen pandemic situation. The world has come face to face with the ground reality of their own health care infrastructure and the requisites to bridge the gap between availability and the need for skilled and qualified paramedics who can aid specialists in hectic schedules.
The growing population of a developing country like India is witnessing mushrooming of hospitals in every city to cater to its medical needs leading to the dominance of the healthcare sector in the future creating huge opportunities for paramedical professionals in the job markets.
The healthcare industry is always in need of skilled and qualified paramedics in India, so once you clear your 12 class, you can choose the best paramedical institute for your study where you acquire all the skills, build and transform them into a career in the healthcare industry.
Some of the job profiles which the paramedical courses can offer you to opt from are discussed below:
Operation theatre technicians are responsible for taking care that an impeccable surgery is carried out.
- Transport patients
- Prepare the patient and operating room for surgery
- Set up, check, connect and adjust surgical equipment
- Provide technical assistance to surgeons
- Provide support to recovering patients
So in short the operating theatre technicians work with the surgical team during the perioperative period in planned and emergency surgeries and take care of the patients in the recovery room.
Medical Laboratory Technician health professionals are concerned with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease through the use of clinical laboratory tests.
DMLT Course is a short course that allows you to bring home the bacon in less than three years.
The job will involve:
- Collecting, labeling, analyzing samples
- Executing laboratory testing
- Conducting experiments to verify a hypothesis
- Organizing and storing all hazardous chemicals according to safety standards
- Responsibly recording all data accurately
- Maintaining all laboratory equipment
Though all these years MLT have been working behind the scenes, post the Covid-19 outbreak, MLT has caught the attention of the world and the demand for skilled professionals has increased manifold.
Certificate programs such as Hospital Administration prepare students for administrative positions within hospitals, clinics, physician’s offices, and other health care centers.
Effective and efficient working of a large organization is the work of a Hospital Administrator and the team.
The responsibilities of a hospital administrator include:
- Coordinating with employees
- Data management
- Work processes and strategies for improvement
- Policy compliance
- Finances, etc.
With the pandemic spread, we experienced an epiphany that more and more skilled and qualified paramedics are required for strengthening the backbone of the healthcare industry. Employment opportunities for Paramedical Professionals are increasing day by day not only in India but also in foreign countries. Paramedics, as we know, lend a helping hand to the doctors to reach an accurate diagnosis of a disease to allow its best possible treatment.
After completing the basic course in any of the paramedical streams, you can take up a job in a Nursing Home, Hospital, Clinics, and Health Departments as well colleges and universities as lecturers, etc. Besides, you can open your own laboratories/clinics.
The career prospects for paramedical streams are thus varied. And if you wish to make a difference in someone’s life then pursuing a paramedical course to become a paramedic can prove to be a good choice for you. The career and growth opportunities in this industry make it a profitable option.
That being said, there are certain courses in high demand and have a good future outlook. Some of them are:
Bachelors’ degree, diploma/advanced diploma or certificate course in any of the following:
- Medical Laboratory Technology (BMLT/ ADMLT/ DMLT/ CMLT)
- Concerned with diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases
- Medical Imaging Technology (BMIT/ ADMIT/ DMIT/ CMIT)
- Trains you to work under qualified radiologists
- You are responsible for positioning and maintaining the imaging equipment.
- Operating Theatre Technology (BOTT/ ADOTT/ DOTT/ COTT)
- Renders you responsible for pre-, intra- and post-surgery duties
- Hospital Administration (BHA/ ADHA/ DHA/ CHA)
- Trains you to oversee the organizational side of a healthcare facility
Similarly, there are other courses like:
- Anaesthesia Technology
- Deals with assisting the anesthesiologist
- Allied healthcare professionals assist in the management and monitoring of anaesthesia.
- Emergency Medical Technology
- Deals with responding in basic emergency life-saving situations
- EMTs constitute an emergency response team.
- General Nursing and Midwifery
- Teaches nursing students the importance of community healthcare
The other key courses in paramedical are
- Ophthalmic Technology
- The technicians are trained to conduct eye exams and educate patients to wear contacts and care for eyeglasses.
- Dialysis Technology
- The technicians assist patients with kidney diseases.
- Cardiac Care Technology
- Learners are trained to conduct tests to record heart activity using specialized equipment.
- Respiratory Therapy Technology
- Trains professionals to care for patients who have trouble breathing
Virohan institute of health and management sciences contributes a fair share to the healthcare industry. We are producing scores of impeccably honed, well trained, and skilled qualified paramedics.
Virohan institute of health and management sciences offers courses in most of the paramedical courses. Operation Theatre Technician, Medical Lab Technician, and Hospital Administration courses are offered at our centres across India.
Your decision to pursue a paramedical course after 12th is an opportunity for a rewarding career path. Your decision to become a paramedic will be impactful due to the lives you save on the job. It will earn you respect and livelihood. Pursuing a paramedical course now when demand is high is advantageous. These courses can open doors to many different career opportunities for you in the future.
Prior to your admission, you can go for career counselling at the Virohan institute.
This expert counselling will help you understand what course is best for you so that you take the right decision for a progressive career.
All the best in your endeavors!!
Paramedical sciences has emerged as the multidimensional service sector opening gates to numerous opportunities. Along with providing career opportunities to the growing population , it has also improved the health condition of the people. Paramedics are key players without whom the healthcare industry can fall out of gear.
The healthcare industry is the fifth largest employer in India. Virohan has several paramedical and allied healthcare courses which not only lead to a job in the healthcare sector but also ensures a positive growth into a long term career.
Virohan institute of health and management sciences offers courses in most of the paramedical sciences. Paramedical courses like Emergency Medical Technician, Medical Laboratory Technician, Operation Theatre Technician, Hospital Administration and Radiology Technician courses are offered.
At Virohan, we work with a passion to build a generation of learners who can grow their skills into a career. We focus on providing the best learning opportunities to students to build a career in the healthcare industry.
We at Virohan can help you in making an informed decision by giving you a deep understanding of the scope of the best job-oriented paramedical healthcare course for you.
to receive awesome content in your inbox,
We will get back to you in 2-3 days.