Veterinary medicine deals with preventing, diagnosing, and treating illnesses affecting domestic and wild animals. It also focuses on preventing the transmission of diseases from animals - especially pets and food-producing animals to humans. The study of veterinary science ranges from preventive care to complex surgical cures.
Also Read: Paramedical Course
Veterinary Course Information
|Course Name||Veterinary Course|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2, Minimum 50% Marks|
|Course Fees||INR10,000 - INR 1 Lakhs Per Annum|
|Veterinary Course Average Salary||Rs.10,000 to Rs.50,000|
|Top Recruiting Fields||Animal Breeder, Animal Caretaker, Veterinary Surgeon, Veterinary Doctor|
A veterinary student is expected to:-
- Diagnose health problems
- Vaccinate against diseases like rabies
- Provide medicines to animals suffering from infections or illnesses
- Advising the owner about animal feeding, behavior, and breeding
- Performing diagnostic tests like ultrasound, blood test, urine test, and x-ray
- Providing preventive care to maintain the health of livestock
The veterinary course comprises protocols related to the following:-
- Maintaining clinical equipment used in the diagnosis and treatment of animals
- Diagnosing the illness, symptoms of the diseases, and health disorders in animals
- Determining the treatment protocol for the animals' diseases, illnesses, and health disorders.
- Providing medical and surgical care to animals
- Preventing the transmission of diseases from animals to humans
- Promoting animal health
Also Read: MBA in Hospital Administration
There are different types of veterinary courses. The full-time veterinary course is a 5.5-year course. The students are expected to give time to study for the full-time course.
The total duration of the veterinary course is five years and six months.
The average fees for veterinary courses range from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 1 lakh per annum.
The basic eligibility for joining the veterinary course is to pass 12th with a minimum of 50% aggregate. One must also have physics, chemistry, and biology as the subjects.
Also Read: GNM Nursing Course
Admission to the veterinary course is possible through an entrance examination and merit-based selection. Many universities offer direct and entrance exam-based admission to a university. Candidates applying for the degree should have their results from the respective entrance exam boards.
To be eligible for a veterinary science course, candidates must have passed class 12 with an aggregate score of at least 50%. In addition, candidates must have physics, chemistry, and biology as their core subjects in class 12. As per the age criteria, the minimum age to take admission is 18 years, while the maximum is 25 years.
- Comparative Osteology And Arthrology
- Comparative Splanchnology
- Myology, Angiology, Neurology, and Anesthesiology of Ox
- Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques
- General Histology and Ultrastructure
- Principles and Applications of Biomechanics
- Public Health and Epidemiology
- Livestock Production Management
- Animal Nutrition
- Animal Anatomy
- Veterinary Physiology
Trainee veterinary or veterinarian assistants can start with salaries up to Rs. 10,000 per month. With two or three years of experience, veterinarians can earn up to Rs. 50,000 per month. Government jobs in the animal welfare department also pay up to Rs. 40,000 per month or more depending on the experience of the candidate and the post for which the candidate has applied.
There is a casting opportunity available for students, and they can explore multiple fields:-
- Veterinary surgeon - The job profile includes treating and healing wounds and injuries. The average salary is 5.4 lakhs to 6 lakhs per year.
- Veterinary officer - A veterinary officer is responsible for maintaining the rules and policies for animal healthcare in agriculture. The salary varies as per the policies of the state and central government.
- Animal caretaker:- They take care of the animals. They also provide their service to different NGOs that work to improve animals. The salary varies from 3.5 to 4:lakhs per annum.
- Animal breeder:- Animal breeding is essential, and one needs expert hands to do the same. The average salary is 3.5-4.5 lakhs per annum.
- Animal scientist:- Animal scientists conduct research and ensure increased food productivity. The salary of an animal scientist is 5-6 lakhs per annum.
Getting placed is considered a cakewalk for students who have graduated. One of the main reasons is that after completing the course, the graduates are well-versed in the curriculum.
Some of the best jobs after completing the course are:-
- Animal breeder
- Animal caretaker
- Veterinary surgeon
- Veterinary doctor
- Social workers for animals
Some of the graduates with experience can apply for jobs like:-
- Veterinary officer
- Animal research scientist
- Animal scientist
For medical aspirants who love animals and want to pursue a career related to caring for animals, a veterinary course is the best degree course for them. The course curriculum comprises subjects like animal anatomy, nutrition, physiology, and diseases. In addition, the 5.5-year course comprises theoretical and practical examinations.
Also Read: B Voc Course
How many courses are there in veterinary?
How hard is veterinary?
hat skills do veterinarians need?