Medical laboratory technicians (MLTs) are the most in-demand healthcare professionals who serve the needs of a patient from a laboratory rather than from a traditional saviour set up – the hospital.
The certificate course in medical lab technology is a short-term specialization course of 6 months to 1-year duration. This course trains a learner to help a doctor diagnose, detect, and treat diseases by collecting and testing samples and documenting the results of these tests for further analysis by the doctor.
This online certificate course proves to be an additional notch on the already working professional’s belt by providing detailed professional training along with authentic NSDC certification to work as a Phlebotomist.
A phlebotomist thus is an allied healthcare worker who performs phlebotomy in healthcare settings.
Work of a Phlebotomist
Completion of an online certificate course in MLT allows a professional to work as a phlebotomist. A phlebotomist assists the medical laboratory technologist or the doctor to exclusively take care of collecting biological samples like blood, urine, or swabs from patients followed by preparing these samples and specimens for tests according to given standards.
The work of a certified phlebotomist also includes answering all questions and concerns of a patient, providing instructions on how to properly collect samples like urine, along evaluating for venipuncture procedure.
Eligibility Criteria for an online certificate course in MLT
The eligibility criteria may vary from institute to institute.
It is generally a 40% score in grade12 from a recognized board/university.
The working professionals need to present a relevant work experience of at least 3 to 6 months in a healthcare facility in case they zero in on VIROHAN as their choice for an online certificate course or online diploma course in MLT.
A professional enrolled with VIROHAN is also required to possess a motor vehicle driving license because apart from collecting biological samples, it would be the responsibility of the phlebotomist to label them accurately, deliver samples within set time frames and maintain records of the different tests that have been done.
Duration of Online Certificate Course in MLT
The duration is 4 months for an online certificate course in MLT in addition to the 3 months experience certificate the working professional presents at the time of admission at Virohan.
The duration is 7 months for the online diploma program in MLT in addition to relevant experience of 7 months at the time of admission at Virohan.
Why an Online Certificate Course in MLT?
- The demand for certified MLTs is growing with the rise in the number of hospitals and laboratories, which has been further stressed upon by the COVID-19 crisis.
- Driven by this demand for more and more skilled and certified phlebotomists, several courses are now available on different online platforms.
- This helps an already working laboratory professional earn a certificate without any geographic or time constraints.
- This allows professionals to upskill and certify themselves without compromising on their respective jobs and habitation, further helping them grow in their careers.
- Working technicians with strict and tight work schedules and prior commitments like childcare responsibilities can easily opt for an online certificate course in Medical Laboratory Technology.
- They can use this ever available, cost-effective E-learning option from the comfort of their home or workplace, at the time which best suits them, without having to reschedule their personal or work tasks.
Online Medical Lab Technology Curriculum
The course curriculum varies by degree level and institution. It is designed to impart technical skills including quality assurance and control, as well as soft skills like communication and teamwork, through concept-based learning.
There are many commonalities in the curriculum of various institutions.
The course curriculum includes components like:
- Human Body – Anatomy and Physiology
- Haematology, Immunology, Serology
- Clinical Pathology
- Medical Terminology
- Lab Information System Management
- Biomedical Waste Management
Improved Job Prospects
- A career as a phlebotomist offers job avenues in both the public as well as private sectors.
- The salary package can soar higher than the current package of a working professional as the learner gains experience, technical expertise, and certification.
- The addition of a certificate course to one’s resume earns them an edge above those working without one and also offers them job security.
- A career in this field of the healthcare sector is challenging but equally satisfying and rewarding.
- Learning new techniques and applying those to serve humanity gives one inner satisfaction as well.
Advantages of Online Certificate Course
A certificate program in MLT is low on investment, convenient to pursue, versatile, flexible, and helps existing working professionals earn enhanced benefits in healthcare. By upskilling existing professionals, it further helps ensure high-quality health services and patient care.
USP of VIROHAN
VIROHAN is one of the best institutes offering online paramedical courses.
- Virohan is an NSDC affiliated institute and has a placement partner network of over 650 organizations where its alumni are working.
- Virohan aims to provide an empowering career path to low-income professionals by helping them enhance their work profiles.
- The course offered at Virohan emphasize the development of core technical skills, language abilities, life skills, and soft skills, enabling the learners to transition into refined paramedical professionals.
- Virohan provides the students with an opportunity to learn from industry leaders and medical experts.
- It offers 24*7 facilitator support for doubt resolution.
- Enrollments at VIROHAN, across all offered programs, have seen an increase of over two-fold in 2020-2021 as compared to the previous fiscal year, and it plans to train over 1 million students by 2025.
Virohan is determined to continue to enable all paramedics to have fulfilling and progressive careers.
FAQs For Onine MLT Course
All working professionals with proof of relevant working experience can join an online certificate or diploma program in MLT.
The duration for a certificate program in MLT is 4 months duration in addition to 3 months of working experience.
The duration of a diploma program in MLT is 7 months in duration in addition to the 7-month relevant work experience.
NO, NEET is not required to apply for an online program in MLT.
An MLT has various responsibilities. From setting up and sanitizing labs, to preparing specimens for analysis. Matching blood compatibility for transfusions and identifying pathogens to collecting samples are all works of MLT.
Medical Laboratory technicians, or lab technicians, are trained professionals who help doctors in formulating a treatment plan after analysing the health condition of a patient.
You can work as a phlebotomist after online certificate course completion in MLT.